Thursday, March 19, 2015

To my Scientific synonym- Dr.RUS

According to me, Science was born today – A new definition for Science – redefined today, 59 years ago, to be fairly precise !  Every one shall have a person in their live – or let me pluralize, persons. To reiterate from my previous article, “To many of us, we have perfect keep sake that makes us feel proud of having lived in few person’s era! Unlike all of us, I too have a bigger list, in fact, and I deem it to be a real blessing to have just existed, should I say, in the times of such great - greater and the greatest people! And here is the list, the Musical Synonym Shri.MSViswanathan, Stupendous Scientist Prof. Umaa Shanker Raman, … Oh, now let me tell you, I would love to stay behind, at this level as such, for, many of you might be thinking that I should be adding HH Ravishankar or HH Parthi Sai Ram or whom so Holy ever for that matter as “TOP PRIORITIES”! Apologies to disappoint you, definitely in this list, I shall have these people, but may be somewhere near the bottom – Coz, my very little knowledge in spirituality had never allowed me so far to write about them!”
And, now, for Science – true to the words – service to science is service to humankind – Professor.Dr.Uma Shaanker Raman, lives up to the words point perfectly. It all began when I read Bio-resources and empire building: what favoured the growth of Vijayanagara Empire? during 2007! Despite the many authors, I was more carried away by his name! Then, from Sanjeevani plant paper to the sandal paper, read almost all his collections of general articles! Slowly started following him on google alerts. Most of his works, fed my hunger to do science! Every student – a science aspirant – would want to have a flawless mentor who not only helps in mere learning but also teaches experiences, moulds to be a better person and all that ! Realizing that my thirst of meeting a real mentor for life, will end, with Prof.Uma Shaanker, I started to explore ways and means to enter his lab as a student! Fellowships, internships or whar ever you name it, I had a strong burning desire to join his lab! Three full years went in vain, for, I had to miss all possible fellowships that could take me to this lab, to work under his guidance! But, I must confess, I still remember the attitude of simplicity and the responses that he shared for every single call or mail of mine, warming my heart.! Finally, a day came, when I had met him in life for the first time and Oh, What a simple man he was, then ( He IS, now, as well)! The passion and energy he had for explaining science is simply unimaginable. He changed the course of history for me, a newly floundering graduate student, when he introduced me what science is. Over the period of my association with him, I have learned much from him about the value of different approaches to scientific inquiry, attention to detail, and taking risks in the name of discovery and above all enjoying work especially in lab n field among other things.  His knowledge, ideas, enthusiasm, and vision are pervasive throughout. It was more like a dream come true, meeting sir and his crew of fantabulous researchers, working with them in the same lab, under sir’s guidance, I, I fall short of words to express how I felt…! A person with overwhelming work schedules, still never losing the pace and temper, trying his best to attend to every student friend of his, a real multi faceted personality he is ! I was simply impressed with his profile the first time..
It took 3 full years for me to meet him... eager, excited and dumb founded I was! You know, there are very less even a hand full of people, who could carry themselves so perfectly even in the way they response and my sir is one of them ! And of course, the best, second to none ! His role in my life is very many, yeah, very many! His exemplary nature of being a human, an ultimate scientist, a quintessential mentor, an archetypal teacher. . ! Whew! He taught me to open up and question, understand and proceed and all that! His talks about EGO and HOPE, Brainstorming on statistics, the Poles apart joke session, the trek with “showww camera” tune with Roshan, every single, every minute happening is etched in my mind and shall remain for ever! 
Its been roughly 8 years, since I started “following” him (thank you, google alerts!), and ever since, the mid of March will always remind me, that, Science was born, on earth, few decades back, defying the myths and paradox and enlightening Science for Human kind ! And, this is just a small gratitude, for making me proud student of his, aspiring me to be what I am now, I know, mere THANKS will NOT SUFFICE. A pride that I shall cherish for ever, is, I am a student of him, ever! And, I am sure, that every student of yours will carry the same pride as I do ! 
Happy Birthday, Professor Dr. Uma Shaanker Raman Sir ! 
Wishing you more and more years on earth, with good health and smiles!

No comments:

Post a Comment